2009-02-01

January Fund Performance

Here's the January performance of my Marketocracy funds. The orange line is my fund, the purple line is the M100, the Marketocracy mutual fund, green is the S&P 500 Index, brown is the DJIA, and blue is the Nasdaq.

First up is my short fund. I've loaded up on financials, newspapers and solar. A surprise winner was FXP. The double short China fund from ProShares, even though the Chinese market has fallen, the inverse ETF went down as well. It's easy to make money shorting in this market though, and if you look at the chart since inception, the performance was bad during the bull market.












Next is my Entertainment fund, which is mostly consumer discretionary. I haven't traded this hardly at all in the past year. A chart from inception shows the gains from holding Marvel Comics (MVL) was slowly bled away over time. Now that this is one of the worst sectors in the market, the fund continues to underperform. Also, I haven't sold losers, with several holdings down 80- and even 90-plus percent.












Here's my Software Security fund. The turnover in this fund has never been much due to the limitation of the sector. Even then, I've had to branch into Indian outsourcing, Chinese gaming, and defense contractors.












Next is the Pharma & Dogs. I've maintained the pharmaceutical allocation, with about 50% in healthcare. My Dow stocks aren't Dogs though, I have Caterpillar and Johnson & Johnson. One holding that delivered big gains is Tesoro (TSO), which I have in several funds. It's up 127% since purchase on December 5.












This is my high-yield fund. This portfolio also has Tesoro, which is up almost 100%. It yields 2.3% now, but was over 4% at the time of purchase. The biggest loser in the portfolio is HTE, down 44% and yielding 33% (although I don't expect that to last).












Next up is the Green Dragon. If I read about a stock in someplace such as Barron's and I think it looks good, I'll add it to this fund. Thus, this is my "gut check" fund. Little portfolio management. At the moment, over 50% of the fund is in U.S. dollars (cash) and Japanese yen (FXY).












This is my Best of Funds. It has also performed the best of all my long funds. I trade this fund heavily (turnover was 31% in January) because I move in and out of double short stock and commodity funds.












Finally, the fund that fits with this blog's title, the China fund. Over 60% of the fund is defensively positioned in currency positions and gold. The largest Chinese equity position is currently Netease (NTES). The fund lost 4.06% last month, compared to more than 13% for iShares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 (FXI).

No comments:

Post a Comment