2009-09-21

Google Wave

I was trying to work out the trend lines on the Shanghai Composite and in my searches I came across a post on Google Wave by Jason Kolb. Very cool, and makes me wonder how the Chinese government will deal with it, since it promises an intermediary-free Internet experience.
Let's take a step back and think about this for a second. I'll probably do another post just on the addressing scheme at some point because it's so key, but it's worth a brief recap.
Right now I cannot send text directly to your instant message account (unless you're using an XMPP-based client), I have to send the message to your IM server which relays the message to you.
I cannot send audio directly to your phone, the phone company has to route it there.
I cannot share a picture directly with your Facebook account, I have to sent it to Facebook first to be carried on to you.
I can't send a file directly to you, I have to put it on a share or email it to you.
(Not to mention the fact that these are all disconnected, you can't combine these into a single message stream. XMPP addresses that problem very nicely, as the wave client shows.)

XMPP removes these intermediaries from the network. Social networks and proprietary transports no longer have an exclusive license to deliver content, the clients talk directly to one another.

Do you see the difference? There are no longer social networks or any other type of networks required to relay the communication, we are now down to exactly 3 components:
1. Clients
2. Storage
3. Applications

No comments:

Post a Comment