2009-10-01

September Performance

Index

Sept. %

YTD %

S&P 500 TR

3.73

19.26

MSCI EAFE

3.59

25.49

上海 Shanghai

4.19

52.65

Fund



Entertain. Trends

3.89

25.67

Green Dragon

1.22

30.41

Best of Funds

1.13

6.39

Pharma & Dogs

3.03

9.10

China Fund

2.18

13.70

Software Security

3.83

30.23

Yield to Me

6.29

18.53

Catch a Falling Knife

-7.13

-50.54

My Best of Funds lagged last month due to two failed attempts at going short, but the return is respectable considering my heavily bearish positions. The real lag has accrued over the summer when I pared back bullish positions too early, and didn't get as aggressive as I did in the Green Dragon, which scored some huge gains in the early stages of the rally.

Yield To Me did well because I added some gold miners and held them, whereas I sold them in August in Best of Funds.

The China Fund is the most disappointing this year, due to missing the major rally in U.S. listed Chinese equities.

Today's action in the market proves the sound allocation strategy in my portfolios. The worst performance came from the nearly fully invested Yield to Me, down 1.90%, while Best of Funds actually gained 0.76%, beating the S&P 500 Index by over 3%, completely negating the month of September in terms of comparative returns.

My major positions across the portfolios are long-dated Treasuries (TLT), gold (GLD), yen (FXY), U.S. dollar (UUP), and a smattering of leveraged inverse ETFs.

Going forward, I will increase the aggressiveness in the portfolios if markets continue to slide, but I am ready to pare existing positions should the market make another run higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment