2015-06-25

The Price of Growth

Caixin: Children of Migrant Parents Left Alone to Die
Police said the four children – a 14-year-old boy and his three sisters ages 10, eight and five – committed suicide together on the night of June 9 in their home in Tiankan, a town in a farming area under the jurisdiction of the Guizhou Province city of Bijie, in the southwestern part of the country. Bijie police said the children killed themselves by drinking pesticide.

..."Increasing numbers of rural people are leaving home for a better life," said Wu Zhihui, director of the Rural Education Institution at Beijing Normal University. "But their children are being sacrificed."

Zhang wrote a suicide note that read: "Thanks for your good intentions. I know you are good to me, but it is time for me to go. I swore I would not live beyond 15 years old, and death has been my dream for years."

...The tragedy is the area's second since 2012 involving the deaths of neglected children. That winter, five young boys died in the village of Qiangyan while trying to stay warm after crawling into a garbage container and starting a fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment